- Has hot-pink flowers and shiny pointed leaves.
- Blooms year-round, unlike other types of azalea.
|Bougainvillea - Bougainvillea glabra|
- Tropical tree or vine with large, colorful flowers.
- Varieties used for bonsai are glabra, spectabilis, and pink pixie.
- Bougainvilleas need bright light and high temperatures to thrive.
- Bougainvilleas should not be kept outside when temperature is below 50 degrees.
|Boxwood - Buxus|
- Dense shrubs native to Asia and Europe.
- Used as outdoor hedges.
- Heavy wood has many commercial uses.
- Outdoor plant with distinctive musty odor.
- Used as bonsai because of small leaves and flowers.
- Leaves are poisonous and must be kept away from small children and pets.
|Chinese Elm - Ulmus parvifolia or Zelkova Carpinifolia|
- Chinese elm grows throughout Asia.
- Has small leaves and slender branches.
- Remains evergreen year-round if kept indoors or in warm climate.
- Grows up to 16 in.
- Tolerates semi-shade well, but prefer sunlight.
- Indoor or outdoor plant, but must be protected from freezing temperatures.
|Chinese Juniper - Juniperus chinensis|
- Comes in columnar-tree and shrub varieties.
- Foliage color ranges from green to blue-green or gray-green.
- Female trees produce cones.
- Cones are dark blue or brown with a white bloom.
- Grows in dry soil and needs plenty of sunlight.
|Dwarf Cherry - Prunus|
- Ideal for bonsai.
- Blossoms last only a short time during spring.
- Thrives in sunlight, but needs semi-shade during summer.
- Can live in a variety of temperatures, depending on variety.
- Needs protection from birds and insects.
- Small red pomegranate fruit.
- Yellow-orange trumpet-shaped flowers.
- Naturally twisted, gnarled trunk.
- Dark green leaves with shades of bronze.
- Long, trailing branches.
|Ficus - Ficus retusa, exotica, benjamina, and others|
- Tropical plant which grows in south-east Asia.
- Hundreds of varieties of ficus exist.
- Also called fig or banyan tree.
- Ficus has gray bark, drooping branches and bright green oval leaves.
- Develops aerial roots.
- Does well in sunlight, with moist soil.
- Tolerant of most soil and light conditions.
- Increased growth during spring and summer.
- Good tree for bonsai beginners; tolerates watering mistakes and adverse growing conditions.
- Ideal for air-root and root-over-rock bonsai styles.
|Ficus 'Too Little' - ficus benjamina|
- Miniature variety of Ficus.
- Small leaf with compact growth.
- Height of 8'' to 10''.
|Fukien Tea - Carmona microphylla or Ehretia buxifolia|
- Evergreen tropical shrub from China.
- Three varieties - small, medium, and large leaf.
- Has shiny, oval, dark-green leaves and white flowers.
- Produces green berries which turn red when ripe.
- Can be grown indoor or outdoor (temp. must be above 60 F).
- Fukien teas do well in light but should be protected from direct sunlight.
- Insects are a problem for fukien teas. Use the mildest insecticides available.
- Do not use Diazinon. It will kill the tree.
|Gingko - Gingko biloba|
- Has existed since prehistoric times.
- Has distinctive fan-shaped leaves which turn pale yellow during autumn.
- Has column-shaped trunk.
- Lighting - full sun to semi-shade.
- Roots need protection from frost.
|Japanese Cedar - Cryptomeria sp.|
- Has pyramidal branches on a central trunk.
- Has ornamental reddish brown bark which peels off in strips.
- Needs full sun.
- Foliage turns brown during winter.
|Japanese Juniper - Juniper procumbens nana|
- Non-flowering, evergreen conifers available in many varieties.
- Found in temperate climates throughout the world.
- Junipers are kept outside year round.
- Junipers should be protected from strong wind and freezing temperatures.
|Japanese Maple - Acer palmatum|
- Native to China and Japan.
- Fern-like foliage with vivid colors in fall (shades of yellow, orange, and red).
- Needs shade and shelter from cold temperatures.
- Over 300 varieties. Leaf shape, size, and color vary.
- Young trees have green bark which turns brown or gray with age.
- Five-lobed leaves.
- Varieties include thread-leaf, lace-leaf, green bark and red bark.
- Red bark variety is most popular for bonsai growing.
|Japanese White Pine - Pinus parviflora|
- Irregularly-shaped tree which has a conical shape when young.
- 1" to 2.5" long needles form tufts of foliage on ends of branches.
- Has cones until 6 or 7 years old.
- Grows in northern climates, in full sunlight.
|Mini Jade (Dwarf Jade) - Portulacaria afra|
- Evergreen plant from South Africa.
- Hardy soft-wood shrub which naturally grows on rocky hillsides.
- Indoor plant with thick trunk and oval leaves.
- Star-shaped white flowers bloom in fall.
|Natal Plum - carissa sp.|
- Small, thorny, evergreen bush.
- Blooms pink and white flowers.
- Fruit of natal plum is edible.
- Grows under most conditions except freezing cold.
|Okinawa Holly - Ilex dimorphophylla|
- Ornamental tree which comes in evergreen and deciduous species.
- Has toothed glossy green leaves and red berries.
- Found in both temperate and tropical regions.
- Both male and female plants are needed for growth of berries.
|Sago Palm - Cycas revoluta|
- Sago palm is not an actual palm, but a member of the cycad species.
- Sagos have existed since prehistoric times.
- Sagos originated in eastern Africa.
- Adaptable - can be kept in sunlight or shade.
|Schefflera (Umbrella Tree) - Schefflera arboricola|
- Tropical tree which can grow over fifty feet high in the wild.
- Leaves form a canopy at top of tree.
- Hardy and easily maintained.
- Prefer bright light and can be kept outdoors if temperature is over 55 degrees..
- Tiny dwarf variety of Serissa
- Has single-flowering white blossoms.
- Grows only up to one foot high.
|Serissa, Snow Rose - Serissa foetida|
- Double-flowering variety of serissa.
- Has small, white, rose-like flowers and thick dark green leaves.
- Sub-tropical evergreen from Japan.
- Flowers bloom 10 months of the year.
- Variegated-leaf varieties also available.
- Pink Snow Rose variety has pale pink flowers and leaves edged with white.
- Native to China, where it is called 'Tree of a Thousand Stars' because of its small white flowers.
- Has long, oval, shiny green leaves.
- Small white trumpet shaped blossoms.
|Trident Maple - Acer buergerianum|
- Deciduous tree with bushy foliage and thick trunk.
- Small, glossy three-lobed leaves and light brown bark.
- Has bright yellow flowers in spring.
- Low-growing with multiple stems.
- Ornamental outdoor tree.
- Thick, twisted roots are ideal for root-over-rock bonsai style.